19 February, 2006

Fun in the Minster

As promised, here's a bit on a really nice concert that took place in the Minster the Saturday before last.



The program was very eclectic, ranging from medieval church music to classical, a tuvan throat-singing group, electronic music... and of course, the indonesian gamelan, which I play in!

The aesthetic of the concert was unique and pleasing. The chairs had been removed from the space, and the audience was encouraged to move around throughout the performance. When one group finished, the next began from a different, unexpected part of the room. The evening culminated with a vocal ensemble that performed a canon whilst meandering around and through the audience! I can't explain the effect of the evening in words, except to say that everything felt... really big. It was really nice. I took a lot of pictures of the gamelan because it was really striking to see an entire small orchestra of instruments from the East juxtaposed against the cathedral background of the West.




On a different subject, I have a new website! www.cmbryan.com There are a few recordings to download, including the first project for my Master's degree. If you want to listen, let me know what you think.

These next few weeks will be all about buckling down and (hopefully) getting a lot of music written. I'll let you know as soon as I hear about my PhD application. Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oy! wheres chris in the gamelan pics?

Chris said...

I gave the camera to Melissa whilst I was playing, but unfortunately it wasn't on a good setting... but if you squint real hard and cross you eyes... maybe you can see my forehead...

Anyway, they didn't turn out.


Oy! Sign your name! :)
(or get a blogger account)

Anonymous said...

"oy!" message = Andrew

Better?