16 October, 2005

Weekend 2 update

This weekend's update is dedicated to my new Favorite Thing About England: the wonderful game of snooker. If you're not familiar, it's like pool on a huge 6x12' table with a bazillion balls and a lot more strategy than 8 or 9 ball. It rocks. The final championship game is going on today.

Anyway.

The good news is that the power surge didn't break anything else on my computer. There's a friendly local repairman who's pricing another power supply, and he'll let me know tomorrow. He gave me a temporary one, so as of yesterday afternoon I've been back in buisness.

The totality of the first week of the term has consisted of a general introductory gathering of the department, and a meeting with one of my two advisors about the specifics of my degree requirements. In the next 12 months I'll be completing a total of three compositions. As my advisor said, "Not bad, eh?" It's not bad at all. I'll have time to really invest myself in each one, and hopefully end up with something substantial.

Melissa has a couple possible leads for work, but nothing's materialized yet. We're holding out breath...

This morning we went to another Anglican church, but with more of an eye on dynamism and growth. Consequently they have more opportunities for us to be involved beyond Sunday morning, including an "18-30" social group. I'm impressed by their two-fold commitment to remain true to Scripture while staying relevant to their current context. They even have a female pastor, which is probably my biggest point of angst with many otherwise healthy churches. I'm sure they have their weaknesses too, but I think Melissa and I both feel that it might be a good place to settle for a bit. We'll try to attend some of the "18-30" events and see what happens. Also, my favorite theologian, N.T. Wright, is coming to speak at the end of the month. I'll definitely be there for that.

Sorry, no pictures this week, we've been lazy. I think that's all for now. This weekend update has been working out well, I might try to keep to that schedule. Thanks for reading, I appreciate it. Send us an e-mail, it'll make our day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris and Mel!!! Glad to hear you guys are doing well in the UK. Mel, we miss you at work!! Keep well, keep in touch!!

Anonymous said...

hi guys... love you!! do you guys have phones over there?