03 December, 2007

Can you taste it?

I mentioned that there were several reasons I've been blogging less frequently (excuses, really!) Here's another:



Mmm, home-brewed beer. I have to say, it's one of my more successful experiments, winning over even the harshest of critics (Melissa!). And there's plenty to go around...



Brewing is a lot of fun. Besides the satisfaction of drinking it, it's great to hear it blurbling in the fermenter, knowing that billions of yeast are at work... kind of like having an art farm, but tastier.

This one is a mild ale, crisp and clean but still flavourful, low-alcohol and medium hoppy-ness. Next up will hopefully be a honey ale and/or a Belgian-style trippel. It's safe to say I'm hooked...

9 comments:

Amy said...

Don't say you've drunk it all yet!!-Amy

the Crow himself said...

Mmm... Looks delicious. If your honey ale comes out well let us know, because I remember Andrew saying something about eventually wanting to do that.

Chris said...

I think Andrew was probably talking about mead, which is actually just fermented honey, more similar to wine (and uncarbonated). A honey ale on the other hand is just a beer (fermented barley and hops) into which a little honey is added... it's usually a subtle flavour addition.

Anonymous said...

mmmmm......i really hope i can come out and brew some ale with you. will there be any left if/when i come out? looks absolutely delicious though...

Unknown said...

Yes, I'll definitely keep a few around, but then we should also do some more sampling. My favourites from this area are Theakston's "Old Peculiar" and Black Sheep ale.

My plan is to have a 12 litre batch in secondary fermentation when you get here, we can put that in bottles and then get another 12 litres started, while we finish what's left of this batch. But I'll need at least a month's notice! :)

Unknown said...

Yeah, you know this isn't ACTUALLY Melissa ;)

Anonymous said...

mmmm... hope there's some left (or a new batch) when I come vist! Looks great. -Gail

Chris said...

"when"?!?

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, how shocking.

Jeeves, never let these people in through the door ever again!