16 January, 2006

Milestone #1

Hi everyone,

This is just an informal post to let you know how things are going...

I officially submitted my first assignment at 2:45 this afternoon. It's the first thing that I'll be officially graded on! So I'm holding my breath a little bit, but I think it'll be alright. It's a 30-minute piece of purely electronic music, suitable for quiet enjoyment in a dark room, or something of that nature. One of my undergrad professors said that my music is too gentle and controlled, that I need to get angry and have a temper tantrum every once in a while. That might be a good idea, but if you know me at all, you know that it's not in my nature... it's not that I don't get angry, but I don't really exhibit my anger as a mode of communication.

Strange as it seems, we've already been forced to look ahead and give some thought to the future after I finish my degree. Originally, we had assumed that the cost of study would prohibit me from continuing my education until I had spent some time in more profitable enterprises, but my advisor pointed out that there are avenues of funding specifically for international students! So with that in mind, I'm submitting a proposal to begin work towards a PhD. If the school accepts me, and if I get some funding, that would keep us here for another few years. The prospect of further study, and further time spent in this wonderful place is scary as well as exciting, but we would both be very happy were it to become a reality.

Along those lines, Melissa made the wonderful discovery that, because of her father, she is entitled to Irish citizenship! Not only does that make traveling Europe a whole lot easier, but it entitles her (and myself, through marriage) to remain in the U.K. for extended periods without a costly and annoying visa. How cool is that?

Finally, a word of advice: if you lock up your cycle, don't try to open the lock with the wrong key. Wrong keys have a tendency to snap off and become permanently lodged in the lock, thereby rendering your bike permanently attached to the pole. Also, if it were to ever happen to you whilst out with your wife on a cold and rainy night and you're a good hour's walk from home, I would further advise you to apologize very profusely.

Luckily for us, our landlord is very understanding, and doesn't at all mind making late-night emergency pickups. Hooray for Providence in the form of kind people! We have had so many wonderful experiences of kindness and hospitality, it's quite overwhelming. So, I'll end with one last piece of advice: you probably won't ever meet a more grateful person than a foreigner (or just an out-of-towner) who ends up on the receiving end of your grace.

-Chris

No comments: